Rich chocolate sugar cookie base topped with creamy and pretty peppermint frosting!
Once you dive into these luscious bars and you won’t look back!
They’re the perfect flavor combination for the winter holidays — at least that’s what I think!
Who can resist a dark chocolate cookie base that’s soft and fluffy topped with incredible whipped buttercream frosting laced with peppermint extract and pretty pink food coloring, then sprinkled with chopped peppermint chocolate candies and fun snowflakes?
Well, for sure, not me!
I know, some people do just not like peppermint – go figure!
But for some reason, whenever I think of Christmas, visions of pink peppermint float in my head. I don’t seem to be the traditional red and green type of gal – so pink is my go-to color. To me, its pretty, soothing and just looks good on and in everything!
I’ve made all kinds of treats with the flavor combination of chocolate and peppermint, but I have never made a chocolate sugar cookie, or for that matter, a chocolate sugar cookie bar.
And let me tell you, they were baked to perfection! Soft and decadent – simply amazing!
And then when you top the bars with the decadent pink peppermint, swirled buttercream frosting, and sprinkle some chopped candies and snowflakes, well, let’s just say I think I’ve taken these cookie bars to a whole new level!
So if you’re looking for a new dessert to bake over the holidays or for just any reason because you love chocolate and peppermint, this recipe is a must try. And if you are one who does not care for the flavor of peppermint, by all means, you don’t have to use it! You can really mix up the topping to your favorite flavor combinations!
However, I will definitely be making these gems over and over again! Pink peppermint and chocolate for the win!
Chocolate Sugar Cookie Bars with Peppermint Frosting
By: Sheila | Sweet Baked Life
For the Cookie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 drops of pink food coloring gel
- 6 pieces of Lindt Lindor Peppermint Cookie Milk Chocolate Truffles, chopped for garnish
- Snowflake sprinkles for garnish
Make the Cookie Bars:
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 7×11-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- To a large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugars and cream on high-speed for 5 minutes until light and creamy. Then add the egg, vanilla and heavy cream and mix until combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture until combined. Note, the dough will be thick.
- Dump the dough into your prepared pan and press down to an even layer using your hands. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the butter on high-speed for about 5 minutes – until light and fluffy. Occasionally scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- With the mixer on low-speed, add the confectioners sugar, peppermint extract, and heavy cream. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, then add the pink food coloring gel and continue beating for another 3 minutes until creamy. Note, to achieve the frosting consistency to your liking, add more confectioners sugar to make it thicker or add more heavy cream make it thinner.
- Top with chopped candy and sprinkles. Cut and serve. Enjoy!
May your holidays be cozy and filled with a batch or two of these cool Chocolate Sugar Cookie Bars with Peppermint Frosting!
Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!