A rich chocolate brownie, drenched with decadent chocolate ganache and topped with candy coated rainbow pieces!
If you are a chocolate fan you are going to LOVE these Cosmic Brownies!
Do you remember eating these delicious little treats after school or giving them to your own kids? If so, it’s time to take a trip down memory lane and get ready to fill your thoughts with this ultra rich chocolate snack! The recipe is easy to make and uses simple ingredients — so get ready to impress!
The texture of a dense brownie, drenched in a smooth chocolate topping and sprinkled with colorful and crunchy chocolate bits will have your kids, family and friends asking for more!
I used to eat these as a kid — and yes, I still may occasionally partake in enjoying these as an adult!
My husband and son love anything chocolate — and the original, store bought Cosmic Brownies are one of their favorites. So, I thought I’d do my best too recreate this all time treat.
The outcome was pure decadent deliciousness! The fam gobbled them up, and I also brought some into the office to share with my coworkers! Yep, they were a hit! I especially like storing these in the refrigerator, as the chocolate brownie, ganache, and sprinkles are so good cold!
By: Sheila | Sweet Baked Life
For the brownies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup backed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the ganache & topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Rainbow candy coated sprinkles
- To make the brownies: Heat oven to 350 degrees, then line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the melted butter and sugars and whisk until well combined. Then add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until fully incorporated. Then sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and using an offset spatula, spread to an even layer.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- To make the ganache: Add the chocolate chips into a medium bowl and set aside. Then into a small saucepan, add the heavy cream and heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer (do not use high heat and do not let the cream boil or you may scorch it).
- Remove heated cream from heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 3 minutes, until chips begin to melt. Then add the butter and vanilla and stir until completely smooth.
- Pour ganache over brownies and using an offset spatula spread to an even layer. Add sprinkles and place in the refrigerator to set. When ready to eat, cut into squares and enjoy! As a note, I keep these in the refrigerator — they are so good cold!
Get ready to bite into these delicious Cosmic Brownies today!
[Recipe inspired by Live Well Bake Often]