Looking to satisfy a muffin craving? Well, here’s a delightfully healthy treat — Blueberry Bran Muffins. Not only are these muffins quick and easy to prepare, they’re filled with whole-wheat flour, bran cereal, and fresh fruit! The outcome is a light yet hearty muffin base bursting fresh blueberries!
You see, my husband has been begging me forever to make some Blueberry Bran Muffins. So, when I was at the store and saw they had blueberries on sale, I quickly thought I would whip up a batch of blueberry muffins for him. When I got home I told him I was going to make these much sought after muffins and he kindly reminded me that what he was craving were Blueberry “Bran” Muffins. He was specific in what he wanted — not a cake like muffin, something hardier and less sweet.
Why does your family have to be so picky? I instantly sighed, as I searched my pantry and discovered I did not have any bran. It was late, and I had been to the store many times over the weekend, and I really did not have time to go back again for bran (bad wifey!). I approached my hubby and posed the idea of including ground oats into the mix, he politely rejected that idea. Darn! But just when I thought I would have to forego the recipe, I found something in my pantry that I could possibly use — I had a box of bran flakes. I quickly told my guy that I could grind up the cereal and use whole wheat flour instead of white flour. He thought it was a brilliant idea!
And even better, white searching recipes online, I found one from Martha Stewart where she used bran cereal soaked in milk. What a great concept — no grinding needed and that would save me one step and cleaning up the grinder! After re-reading the recipe, I decided to change it up a bit more to my loved one’s liking. I pulled together all the ingredients along with my second great garage sale find — this 12-cup vintage muffin tin and proceeded to make these blissfully mouth-watering Blueberry Bran Muffins.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
By: Sheila | Sweet Baked Life
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups bran cereal
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour baking powder, and salt. When the cereal mixture is soft, add the oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Pour on top of the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Then add the blueberries and gently fold in. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter among cups and sprinkle the tops with a bit of granulated sugar. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted to the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then remove and place on wire rack. Serve warm. Store any remaining in a plastic bag for up to 5 days.
What can I say, these Blueberry Bran Muffins came out perfect! And my husband enjoyed each and every bite. This recipe is a keeper in my book and hopefully they will satisfy the muffin lover at your home!
(recipe adapted from Martha Stewart, Everyday Food, January 2007)