Now is the perfect time to whip up this quick and easy no-bake dessert that is reminiscent of the flavor of an eclair.
You heard me right. No need to bake this eclair cake.
Incredible, but true.
You don’t need to turn on your oven or heat up your home when it’s so darn hot outside to make this delicious cake — it’s the best thing about no-bake desserts.
As well, not only do no-bake desserts taste incredible, they are so simple to assemble!
So, raise your hand if an Eclair Icebox Cake sounds good to you!
Can you pass up the flavor combination of layers of whipped cream, vanilla pudding and chocolate chips in between sweet graham crackers topped with an incredible chocolate glaze?
Well, I can’t. The taste of Eclair Icebox Cake is delectable.
The graham crackers are gently softened by the whipped cream and pudding combination.
It literally melts in your mouth.
And on a hot summer day, there is nothing more refreshing and easy than whipping up this dessert to cool you off.
I originally made this recipe years ago. And even though it was good, I did not really like the way the glazed looked or tasted.
So, I thought it was time for a re-do.
The trick to making the perfect glaze is to sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder together.
This will result in a smooth texture and will firm up to a hard topping – for me it was kind of like a magic shell type of texture.
And I love me a good magic shell!
I also added some mini chocolate chips in-between the layers for an extra burst of flavor.
This time the cake came out perfect.
Soft, fluffy layers of creamy vanilla whipped cream pudding, sweet chocolate chips, and soft graham crackers.
And in my opinion, the best part is the smooth yet firm rich chocolate topping!
ECLAIR ICEBOX CAKE
By: Sheila | Sweet Baked Life
For the cake:
- 1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla instant pudding
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 pint heaving whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12-15 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the chocolate glaze
- 1/2 cube butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Combine the pudding and milk in a large bowl and whisk for 5 minutes or until pudding is thick. Place in the refrigerator while you make the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and beat until soft peaks form, add the 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar and vanilla and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Remove the pudding from the refrigerator and gently fold in the whipped cream.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of graham crackers into a 8×10-inch pan, then add 1/3 of the pudding/cream mixture and mini chocolate chips and repeat ending with a layer of graham crackers, bumpy side down.
- For the chocolate topping; combine the butter and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat until just melted. Remove and sift in the cocoa powder and 1 cup of confectioners sugar into the bowl. (Note, it’s important that you sift the cocoa powder and confectioners sugar to ensure a smooth glaze). This topping will be the consistency of a semi-thin glaze. Pour over the top of the cake and smooth evenly with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to eat, remove from fridge, cut into large pieces and enjoy!
Dig into this cool Eclair Icebox Cake now! It’s the perfect summer treat!